Friday, February 12, 2010

Clinique Lash Power Mascara Long-Wearing Formula, $14

(Clinique Lash Power Mascara Long-Wearing Formula in Black Onyx)

It's really hard for me to find a mascara that won't irritate my super-sensitive eyes, let alone one that's supposed to be long-lasting. This one is almost perfect (read: almost). It lengthens, curls, and defines my lashes immensely. I've never really thought that a change in mascara could make a big difference in how I look, but this one makes me look really wide-eyed and awake, and I like the effect.

If you notice, Clinique calls it "long-wearing," not "waterproof," because it actually only comes off with warm water. It's lasted through sweat and tears, literally. It leaves absolutely no smudge or raccoon-eye whatsoever--yay! It's really easy to pull off gently when you're in the shower or washing your face.

There's only one problem: It still irritates my eyes a little. I should mention here that in addition to having sensitive eyes, I'm also kinda a compulsive picker. Any mascaras that make my eyelashes feel really tight will provoke the picking compulsion. These are generally the same ones that will flake on their own; I just help them get going. And this one, unfortunately, is one of those. The tiny, tiny little bits get in my eyes and irritate them. True, not as bad as other mascaras, but irritating all the same. I've also forgotten to take it off at night, and woken up with a bunch of little flakes on my face and in my eyes. Ouch.

Final verdict:
Cost: $14 may seem high when compared to drug-store brands, but for high-end mascara it's a pretty normal price.
Long-wearing?: Actually, yes. It does stay on through heat and crying, and comes off very easily in warm water with no smudging.
For sensitive eyes?: This may be good for some sensitive eyes (Clinique says it's ophthalmologist-tested and allergy-free!), but I had a problem with flaking. When the flakes fall in my eyes, they bother me.
Repeat offender: I wouldn't buy it again--I'm still on the search for the perfect mascara for sensitive eyes (hopefully one that won't smudge everywhere, too). But, it looks so good that I didn't return it--I've been just kinda dealing with it. If you don't have sensitive eyes or a problem with some flakes, it might work well for you.
-T

No comments:

Post a Comment