Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Revlon Colorstay Soft & Smooth Lipstick, Smooth Nude, $7-10


I mentioned last week about Ulta having a sale on certain "drugstore" makeup brands like Maybelline and Revlon, well I couldn't resist my own tip so I swung in there Friday night and picked up a couple of things. A lot of readers have requested that we do more drugstore brand makeup reviews so I got a few things that might satisfy that. This Revlon Colorstay Soft & Smooth lipstick in Smooth Nude was part of my loot.


I've explained before that I'm new to the lipstick game so each lipstick I buy is a new experiment. I definitely like this color a lot, it is something good for every day wear. It has a slightly matte look to it, but a lot of nude colors do. On my lips it gets a little dry after a while, a friend of mine suggested that I should use lip liner in a similar tone and line my lips, then draw in my lips with that color (as a base) so the lipstick stays on longer. I haven't tried this yet but I trust this friend because she can rock red lipstick like nobody's business.


Tip:I have a soft spot for nude colored lips, there is just something super feminine and sexy about a nude lip, and it is kind of weird because "nude" isn't even really a color! Although some people might be worried about looking washed out or alien-like with a nude lip there are a few tricks around it. I suggest to pair nude lips with a dark smokey eye, this balances two dramatic looks perfectly. Another way around this is to apply a clear gloss over the nude, that way, even if you have light eye makeup you can still balance with a shiny nude lip, not just a bare palette.

Final verdict:
Cost: You can find it on Amazon for around $7.99, or Ulta for $9.99 (they currently have a buy 2 get 1 free promotion going on). I suggest waiting for a sale, or grabbing a Revlon coupon for your local drugstore. Paying full price for this would be silly since Revlon seems to always be on sale.
How often do you have to reapply?: I had to reapply a few times throughout the day. It stays on, but it also flakes. This could be my dryish lips or my lack of lip liner but reapplication was necessary. But lets be real, does anyone know a lipstick that DOESN'T need reapplying throughout the day?
Is it worth it?: I got mine for about $4, and I will continue to use it regularly, even if I have to reapply so yes it was worth what I paid.
Repeat offender?: If another color really appealed to me I would definitely try it again. Lipstick can be expensive so having some cheaper brands mixed in your collection would be nice for the wallet.

1 comment: