Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Aveda Light Elements Defining Whip, $22

When I get a haircut, I get crazy layers all over the place. My fine hair (fine to medium, I guess) will simply fall flat otherwise. And let me tell you, I pay good money to get those layers, so I want them to really show! To have life! To separate themselves from the rest! To stand apart and be seen! Allow me to introduce to you one of my favorite hair products of all time and a staple in my everyday life: Aveda Light Elements Defining Whip.

A little background: Aveda is a highly trusted name in the beauty business, known not only for their great products but also for using natural, gentle ingredients and doing their part to lessen their environmental impact. If you've ever used Aveda hair products you know they have this amazing smell--earthy and slightly flowery, but not perfumey.


It adds texture and definition to your hair--meaning it controls flyaways and creates that awesome piecey look. Your bangs going out of control? Use a little of this to calm them down without getting greasy! It works great for long hair and short hair--dudes too! It's made for finer hair, so it's really light and won't weigh your hair down. When you put your hands in your hair later, it doesn't feel sticky or gross.

I use this as the very last step in my hair routine. To use, put a small amount on your index finger, like in the picture. Use your thumb and middle finger (and maybe the fingers on your other hand) to rub it together--this will help to put the product in your hair more evenly. Using your fingers and thumb, quickly grab at the ends of your hair, concentrating on the different layers. Then, tousle it through at the roots, even turning your head upside-down if you want a crazier look. Remember, start with a little bit, because you can always add more.

Here's a pic of me about a year ago, when I had shorter hair:
You can really see, especially in the bangs and on the ends, how the whip really adds the finishing touch to a haircut like this.

Final verdict
Cost: $22 may seem a bit high, but I'm willing to pay it! I use it literally everyday, and have had the same jar for maybe a year and a half. You really don't need that much, so it lasts a long time.
Style: I've used it when my hair is short or long, wavy or straight, dried naturally or blow-dried. You can even use it to smooth a ponytail. Aveda says that it can be used on all hair types, but it's especially best for hair that gets weighed down by other, heavier products.
Repeat offender: I looooove this stuff. It makes my hair look and feel awesome. I tell everyone about it! You can buy it at a lot of salons or from their website.

-T

No comments:

Post a Comment