Wednesday, March 10, 2010

MAC Penultimate Eye Liner, $16.50


I’m always on the hunt for a perfect (or even near perfect) liquid liner and this eyeliner from MAC was the first higher quality liquid liner pen I’ve tried. MAC’s Penultimate Eye Liner in Rapidblack is literally a marker for your eyes. It has a super fine marker-like tip that is great for getting the liner very close to the eyelash line. The tip of the pen does not require any pressure or shaking for the liquid liner to come out so you can comfortably just draw the line. Unlike other liquid liners the black “ink” does not go on messy lowering your chances to smear. It not only does a great job on the top lid but it goes on very easily on the bottom lid line too which is something that I have always had a problem with using liquid liner. I feel like I am repeating myself over and over again but seriously it is just like a marker!


The liner claims “extremely long wear” promising 12 hours of wear so I decided to test this. The first day I wore this I put it on around 6:30 AM with a layer of Urban Decay’s primer beneath the liner. I checked my liner throughout the day and it was still holding strong. I went to the gym around 8:00 PM and did some heavy cardio so I was sweating for sure (I am too lazy to take my makeup off before I go to the gym). I came home and the liner was literally still on. This stuff is pretty heavy duty, the primer probably helps but there was no flaking or crusting throughout the day. I also found that this eyeliner goes on very easily over eyeshadow. For some reason I thought that it might damage the tip of the pen or not go on as dark if I put it on after eyeshadow but I had no problems. Covergirl makes a pen liquid similar to this which is cheaper but waaaay crappier quality. The Covergirl pen required pressure for the liner to come out, it wouldn’t really stay on, and it ran out or dried up really quickly. I was apprehensive to try MAC’s version but the two are hardly comparable.

(Couldn't get a great picture of the line on my eye but I did a little sketch on my hand to show you how the lines can vary as you please.)

Final verdict:
Cost: $16.50 for a fairly large sized pen.
Quality: The product lives up to the promises, it lasts all day and is definitely an ultimate pen eyeliner.
Versatility: The Penultimate Eye Liner is great for trying different eye makeup styles. If you like to experiment with liner this stuff is worth trying, especially if you are trying to achieve that really classic retro look with a thick liner on the top lid.
Repeat offender: I would definitely get this eyeliner again. This is not something I use on a daily basis so I believe it will last a long time.
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment