Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Maybelline Define-A-Line eyeliner, $6

(Maybelline Define-A-Line eyeliner in Ebony Black)

While I tend to stick with liquid or cream eyeliner for the serious endeavors, I like to use a pencil on my inner rims--I just feel like my eyes look awkward without it. It's been hard to find one that I really enjoy, so I keep trying new kinds. I must admit, I'm also secretly hoping to find a pencil that (1) I don't need to sharpen, and (2) will stay in place for a long time. Sometimes liquid or cream just takes too long and I would love to have something simple. I decided to try Maybelline's Define-A-Line eyeliner and, um, I'm still looking. Let me try to recreate my experience here.

Exhibit A: Here I prepped my hand with Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Original (because, obvs, I wear this under any eye makeup) and drew a quick line with the liner. The liner is smooth and soft and highly pigmented.

Exhibit B: I ran my finger gently over the line I just drew.

Final verdict
Cost: $6, but don't waste your money.
Texture and color: The liner is really soft, really really soft. It comes with a built-in sharpener but it is too squishy to hold the point for very long--not really "defining." The color is very dark, but . . .
Does it last?: Not at all. It smudges everywhere, even with the primer underneath. I wore it for only a few hours but got sick of seeing it below my eyes, on my eyelids, on my fingers, etc.
Repeat offender?: No, I would not buy this again. I don't even know if I can finish it. I was pretty disappointed. But, I am willing to try Maybelline again, because I have liked some things from them in the past. Oh well, looks like I'm still on the lookout for my perfect pencil eyeliner.

-T

2 comments:

  1. I found nothing works the way I want it too, it all smears or comes off my water line. SO, I said f it and used a eyeshadow with a angled brush on my water line on top and bottom, and it lasts a long time. I use the urban decay black and it works wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you feel like spending the same amount for a product that actually works, Rimmel has a really good cheap eyeliner pencil called exaggerate waterproof eye definer.

    ReplyDelete